The Director of Maintenance is responsible for the general maintenance of the facility, including all common areas, resident rooms, grounds, equipment, and mechanical systems. Coordinate and communicate with all other team members of the Community in maintaining a holistic perspective of service and care. Lead by example and make certain the programs and services maximize each resident’s quality of life, identity, abilities, and preferences.
Director of Maintenance Job Responsibilities:
- Establish and/or follow a schedule to oversee continuous maintenance of all systems such as HVAC, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and other general duties as required to safely and properly operate the Community.
- Train new and existing staff in community and state-required policies and procedures.
- Perform a wide variety of building maintenance and mechanical work including carpentry, electrical, plumbing, interior and exterior painting, masonry, drywall repair, small appliance repair, minor equipment repair, and troubleshooting; floor cover cleaning (shampooing, buffing, stripping waxing, etc.).
- Establish and/or facilitate a work order system to promptly respond to ongoing maintenance and repair issues throughout the community.
- Walk the community at least on a weekly basis and identify areas that need repair or maintenance and follow-up on corrective action.
- Assure light bulbs are replaced throughout the community as necessary.
- Remain on-call for emergency repairs or maintenance issues.
- Assure all necessary logs are maintained to track information regarding the maintenance of the building and grounds. The logs required may include, but are not limited to:
o Hot Water Temperature
o Emergency Generator Charge Checks
o MSDS Sheets
o Fire Extinguisher Charge Checks
o Fire Drills
o Emergency call system tests.
- Maintaining outside grounds of the facility. Check for litter daily.
- Respond to the maintenance needs of the residents.
- Order all approved maintenance-related products and supplies for repairs and ongoing maintenance.
- Follow budget guidelines and procedures for ordering supplies. Assist in developing the annual maintenance budget. Maintain an effective inventory and loss control program for the supplies, parts, tools, and equipment of the Maintenance Department.
- Obtain competitive bids for all services provided by contract including trash, landscaping, exterminator services, and others.
- Document legibly.
- Work with other team members to complete tasks as assigned.
- Responsible for hiring, scheduling, and supervising the maintenance department. Also responsible for conducting performance reviews and completing and maintaining all related employee paperwork.
- Supervises the work of outside contractors performing physical plant contract services including but not limited to landscaping, painting, floor covering installation, HVAC, and equipment repairs.
- Ensure all company, state, local OSHA or federal health, safety, building, fire, and insurance codes or requirements are met or exceeded at all times.
- Participate in community and resident programs including a Safety Committee and a new resident orientation program.
- Maintain residents’ rights to the best of your ability.
- Participate in all required training, orientation, meetings, and programs offered by the employer.
Director of Maintenance Work Experience:
- A minimum of 2 years preferred in a supervisory or management position in maintenance or environmental services.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities and have excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively with different levels of technical or professional personnel from outside contractors.
- Ability to relate well to residents and their families.
- Working knowledge of systems such as HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical.
- Use caution in performing duties and maintain safe working practices.
- Compassion for the elderly and sick.
Director of Maintenance Educational Requirements:
- Minimum requirement of high school diploma or equivalent.
- Nursing Home Experience
in Palos Hills, United States